top of page

A Tale of Two Bugs

Noah came down with a fever and diarrhea on Monday afternoon, and shortly after that, I caught the bug from him too. As he was still being his usual playful self, we didn’t bring him to the doctor, and chose to give him paracetamol every three to four hours, whenever his temperature went up. 

This funny little boy was amused by his loud farts, and kept giggling whenever he farted, but boy, were they the smelliest farts he has ever produced. His appetite was very poor, and by the end of Monday, all he wanted was to be nursed, refusing to eat a single bite of anything we offered him. Thankfully, his fever went down by Tuesday afternoon, but his appetite only came back on Thursday. He still has diarrhea, but we just give him a bit of yogurt daily, as suggested by a mummy friend, and hope that it will stop soon.

Unfortunately, I was hit much worse by the bug, and was really miserable. My fever went up to 39 degrees quite often, even though I kept popping paracetamol tablets. I also had diarrhea, and because we are at our new apartment, the toilets were both upstairs, which meant that I had to grab Noah and run up the stairs whenever I had to go to the toilet. All I wanted to do was sleep, but Noah refused to let me rest. There was an incessant stream of ‘mummy mummy mummy’ coming from him, and he wanted to be nursed all the time. I couldn’t eat anything, because of my nausea and diarrhea, so I survived on glucose and water.

Kissing and hugging me 


C was having a busy week at work too, which meant he couldn’t work from home, though he did pop back during lunch to check on us, and he came back earlier on Wednesday, so that he could bring me to the doctor, when I decided that I was feeling bad enough to see the doctor. As most clinics here don’t take walk-in patients, the first clinic I called only had an available appointment in two days time, so I decided to try the clinic that I brought Noah to when he had roseola the last time. Thankfully, I was able to get an appointment that day. (I really don’t understand the rationale behind making appointments to see the doctor, because who knows in advance when they are going to be sick?)  The doctor said that I just had to let the virus run its course, and told me to only take paracetamol when I was feeling uncomfortable. I also took charcoal tablets and Imodium for the diarrhea, both of which are safe for breastfeeding.

I also had a lot of insect bites all over, and was afraid that they were bed bug bites, so I wanted to ask the doctor about them. He told me that they were most likely bed bug bites, which absolutely horrified us, because they are very difficult to get rid of.

Some of the bites 


The management of the serviced apartments called in a pest control company the next day, but the guy said that he couldn’t find any trace of bed bugs. There were plenty of mosquitos around, and he was of the opinion that I had mosquito bites instead of bed bug bites instead. We sprayed the apartment liberally with insect repellant, which I’m not very comfortable with, because I didn’t want Noah to be breathing in all the fumes, but we took him away from the areas we sprayed, and that was the best we could do.

It’s horrible that both bugs had to hit us at the same time, and when we first moved into this new place too. Hopefully, the rest of our stay here will be uneventful!


If you’ve enjoyed reading this post, do like my Facebook page here to get updates. You can also follow me on Twitter (@GrowingwtheTans), Instagram (@GrowingwiththeTans), and Dayre (@GrowingwiththeTans), for short updates on what’s going on in our lives. Thank you! 🙂

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Hello Again

Just a post to explain why the blog has been so quiet!


bottom of page